Whatever industry you are in, you will benefit greatly from research and development. Research and development, commonly abbreviated as R&D, is a process through which companies and organizations create new, innovative products. R&D is also important for businesses that are re-branding their current lines or simply looking to understand their customers better. There are several ways through which your business stands to benefit from research and development.
- Unique selling points: Research and development is the first step towards developing unique services and products. Services and products need not be entirely new. You can use R&D to drive innovation and product improvement within your existing business offering.
- Increased income: The unique services and products you get from a successful R&D project can bring financial benefits through new or enhanced income streams. Research and development can also attract new investors. R&D could also help you save money on production or manufacturing, allowing you to spend more on other areas of your business, such as marketing, for an even greater competitive advantage.
- Funding: Many small businesses shun R&D because of the cost implications. However, R&D can open doors for funding. There are public sector innovation, research & development grants, as well as global funding and support available for promising R&D projects.
- Tax relief: Other than seeking grants, another way to reduce your expenditure on R&D is to claim R&D tax relief. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has been offering tax breaks and incentives to companies with many R&D employees since 1981, especially startups and small ventures.
- Collaboration: You can collaborate on your R&D project for increased chances of success. The collaboration can be between your business and another organization or with a college or university. This is great for knowledge and skill transfer to your team, and it also gives you access to facilities, new ideas, and expertise.
- Reputation: If you are known for engaging in R&D, this will strengthen your brand and enhance your reputation. You, however, must ensure you are collaborating with trusted, reputable partners such as renowned scientific institutions.
- Increased motivation: Working on a new product or feature can help motivate employees and generate passion for the company. Employees will feel they have a voice and that they can test their ideas freely. This open communication and motivation lead to improved job satisfaction and increased productivity.
- Increased customer satisfaction: The new services, products, and features you get through research and development allow you to offer customers exactly what they need. An extensive lineup of services and products helps increase customer loyalty and satisfaction. Always remember not to neglect your current customer base while pursuing new customers, and not to pursue new opportunities and markets at the expense of long-term business relationships.
Other potential benefits of research and development are:
- Improved quality
- Environmental benefits
- Improved safety
- Increased efficiency
At Product Insights, we are a full-service market research agency. We have 20+ years of experience handling businesses big and small, including large companies. We have a personalized approach to market research. Call us today – we are research experts you can rely on.
If you have any questions about research development, we are happy to help!